Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Waffles and TP..

So, Kyoto has been an assortment of emotions since I've been here...I've learned that just because its cherry blossoms festival time - it doesn't mean the trees are paying any attention! They were barely starting, and I also found that a few types bloom earlier and later than others...They were still pretty all in all...but no postcard worthy pics here folks!

Oh, my room that I stayed in - lemme tell you about it...:P
So, I check in super early - its not ready, shocking...;) I walk around the city as I wait, which I come to find out is not the best part of the city...so I finally get my room - Let's just say brothels in the Ukraine are classier! This room is big enough for my shoes, there's sketchy bedding that I think someone may have died in, the pillow may as well have been a sand bag used to deter rivers from overflowing it was that comfy - and the best part - it's 30 degrees in the room and there's no heat! Oh wait, the heater they provide is a foot warmer - which I clung to like an overboard sailor to a lifering!

There are 1500 times a day you have to change your shoes as well...each time in the foyer, in the room, not on the tatami flooring, in the shower, out of the shower, in the bathroom stall, etc - it's kinda a pain....:P

Oh and ladies - be careful about TP when you are out in the more rural subway stops - apparently they haven't signed on to that quite yet or are still waiting for their shipment to arrive..so between the hole in the ground looking toilet and no TP - I may as well have been hiking K2!

The public baths here are very interesting and very Japanese...There are certain times of day for ladies and men to go and a serious strict protocol to follow - and you will be lashed if you screw up..So first you get naked with a bunch of saggy old men, then you proceed to the nearest shower head which you wash off, then scrub urself clean with soap, rinse and slowly lower yourself into the hottest hottub you will ever set foot in...I think I have figured out why there are so few people in Japan - the men ruin their sperm every time they take a bath - I'm talking ball blistering hot! After you feel light headed - jump out, pray to the gods for cool water and the ability to bear children, then grab your stuff and navigate through the homeless people on ur way home.

On a good note, which I generally like to end on...waffles and crepes are the "it" thing in the Japan...They have waffles with every kinda toping you would think of - they come in bite size, sandwich size - they even layer them in a dessert that is made in a beer pitcher! Crepes fall into the same field - but they come with ice cream in the middle, subbing the crepe for a cone - it's brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment