Friday, May 14, 2010

The jelly filled kind...

After partying with some boys from the Navy, I have learned why Americans have such a stellar reputation around the world...Boys in the military party - hard. There's no doubt about it, but it's funny since it's not like they are going to battle and need a last hurrah - it's more like - it's Wednesday, what the hell are we gonna do? Their dorm rooms resemble college dorms of the grossest kind - the ones that girls normally would run from even if they were 5 wine coolers deep and wearing blue eyeshadow...I guess it's allowed since the average age of the boys here is 19 - so it's kinda like their college time...but in college we had to study - and here, the boys are disgraceful about knowing another culture...they can't make sense of what to do in the city, how to get around or ask simple questions in japanese...its embarrassing...

I have learned that this summer I'm going to be gross - I mean gross - a sweaty ball of uncomfortable misery, and it hasn't even hit the high 80's yet...It gets humid and sticky and people don't really like deodorant here, so basically I'm gonna be stuck in a stinky, wet, awful metal tube every time I take the train this summer....

You would think that in a country known for it's flip flops that they would be on everyone's feet all time in the nice weather - big mistake! I haven't seen a single Japanese person wearing flip flops yet! I live in mine normally, but I feel like everyone is staring at my feet on the train - thank god I don't have fugly feet! I'm gonna need to start a flip flop revolution so I can proudly wear my flip flops where ever, when ever!

Banking here is a bitch - like most things that require paperwork - everything is a process that usually ends up with a confused asian person on one side of the counter and a irritated me on the other. THey tend to give you all the paper work you need, but the issue is that they don't tell you all the things that you need to coincide with that paper work - like random stamps, copies of cards, blood samples, promissory notes of first born children...crap like that...I'm hoping that after I just through all the hoops that I actually have a bank account set up with a card that will work in this country, but right now I'm not counting on it...

Chivalry needs to come back into fashion - I'm demanding it of all young people! I'm calling our first meeting to order right now and you will all need to pay attention to your first task...giving up your seat on the damn train to older people! I hate seeing that in the recent days - young people on their cells or pretending to sleep while and older person with a bag holds on for dear life to the hand guards. I get so annoyed that I actually closed a young guys phone and told him in the best Japanglish I could to give his seat to this adorable old lady who had just come back from grocery shopping. It's karma bitches - do your part!

So, on a funny side note - I was out one night for an all-nighter and I realized that I was starving but for something very specific - a doughnut! I know that Japan has this weird obsession with pastry things, so I figured there was one open early in the morning. As I was stumbling around, I came upon an occupied cop car. Now the cop cars here are funny because the lights are always on and they don't really mean anything...they have this xylophone siren that jingles and they say 'hi' whenever they pass you on the street - all in all - not very menacing. Anyways, so I went up to this car in a bit of a drunken state assuming they would know where the doughnut shop was, based on my knowledge of police back home, and joked with them by asking "So....do Japanese cops love jelly filled doughnuts as much as the popo back home?" They looked confused and I was ready to jog away when they got out of their car...My first college instinct would have been to bolt, but instead they walked me to the nearest doughnut shop and bowed and walked back to their cars - I stood shocked, bowed back and headed towards the diabetic bliss that awaited me...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment