Friday, May 21, 2010

Attention: please put your seats up in their full and upright position...


And finish ur damn cocktail!!! I'm pretty sure that Megan and I decided that it was a good idea to drink to take the edge off our fear of flying at 8 am....;) Thank god Japanese people drink at all times of the day!
So, we went to Okinawa and it was not exactly how we planned it. To start off - we were drowned rats for the first 2 days...Now I know that when you are on a tropical island, that it's gonna rain pretty much everyday...well by rain, I mean torrential downpour, like the gods were peeing directly on the island...it's was crazy how much water just appeared - I felt like I was in some crazy fish tank!
We bought our own dinner to be cooked on spot - which we felt horrible about since the body was still moving as the guy made sashimi out of his body - but it was so damn good, we just turned the head the other way..:(

Yogurtland is our new best friend - let me tell you about this glorious establishment! Its a self-serve, 12 flavor, 25 topping slice of heaven frozen yogurt place - and it makes my world go round! Literally we would wake up from naps and blurt out "yogurtland" and neither of us had a problem giving into temptation! :) Most expensive cups of FroYo ever though - since it's on weight and I don't think I could fit anymore into the cups - thank god I have good spacial skills and could stack up those oreos and poundcake like a Jenga tower!!

We did end up hangin out with some military boys that I had met and thank god, cause they showed us around the island via car - since apparently you need one to get around, otherwise you are stuck walking here and there...
It's funny - the package thing we were on gave us tickets to the aquarium....so one would assume that it's an aquarium that you can get to - oh no..what a mistake that was! The aquarium was like 3 hours at the top of the island in the middle of nowhere - so there was no hope for us getting to see those giant whale sharks! So, instead we just went to the base and I saw them there! It was awful on the biggest of the military bases - it felt like I had never left the states - there were Burger Kings, Popeyes and a Walmart - full outfitted with all the lovely large characters that tend to fill the stores back home. Apparently, base wives have nothing else to do besides pop out kids, eat fast food, watch the latest movies and increase their belly circumference. The only plus was Megan and I were able to eat cereal! Let me tell you how exciting it was to stare at an aisle of cereal options - I kinda started twitching with excitement!
All in all, the trip was fun - it was warm, we made new friends, I gained about 3 pounds and I'm pretty sure that next time I visit - I'm taking an extra rollie bag to pack full of cereal, nutella and Gatorade! Okinawa - you aren't done with me yet...:)

Back at the ranch - I started work yesterday - and let me tell you - training feels like Kindergarten without naptime...I was sitting there staring a laminated cards reciting the alphabet - I felt like I am Sam...

So, this morning when I was making my way home from a night out - I was stopped by the Police...it was interesting since they asked to check my bag and then they padded me down. Now, mind you there are many other people around in the area, but I was the only one they targeted. I think I put the pieces together as to why...
So, Japan has a zero tolerance drug policy, and yesterday, I had to write a notice for my work reminding all the employees that we are drug free zone - though the President laughed when he asked if we had ever tried pot before, and I accidentally giggled...he gave me the thumbs up - god bless fun asian bosses...:) So, work got a call from the Police reminding them to let all foreigners about this rule - which makes sense as to why they stopped me - they are trying to make sure that we are not partaking in illicit activities - I just wish that the guys padding me down was a 6 foot swedish man with large hands...I guess I can always dream right? ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment