Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hold the mayo....please

I have always considered myself a good judge of someone's age - but after coming to Tokyo, I've learned that actually - I suck. I couldn't tell you if a person was 16 or 36 here - Asians age so damn well! I guess that's the one shout out for my dad - thanks for the genes...I'll look like a 12 year old until I'm 50...:) But seriously - Japanese people just don't get wrinkles and they seem to be pretty mobile until way past most of the AARP kids at home...

Beauty is an interesting thing in Japan. There are different levels and specifics of what constitutes "beauty" in Tokyo. There is surprisingly a very specific look for the ideal Japanese girl - she must have those giant doe eyes, long black shiny hair, perfect teeth (which most in Japan don't have - kinda like Brits....), size negative 32 and has beautiful milky smooth skin...Every photo on the train has some version of this - which I don't understand because for the most part, you can find girls like that on the streets of Shibuya - so I guess the models in Japan are more attainable and relatable - unlike ones from NY or Brazil - damn that gorgeous Gisele...Make up is a big thing here too...I try not to stand too close to most younger asian girls because I'm afraid that I'm going to be adhesively stuck to them - all parts of young Japanese girls are glue on - their eye lashes, their nails, their bedazzled phones...Make up is applied liberally whilst on the train and it apparently doesn't matter if they are busy knocking you with their elbows while they put on mascara since fashion comes first here...I swear I saw a girl take out a full length mirror and a flat iron on the subway last night...

I just spent the afternoon at different modeling agencies, which was kind of a fun adventure because it's nothing like being at home or what we see and dream of it being like on TV...
There were no hunks serving chilled kumquat water in crystal goblets (damn) or long legged human hangers bounding around in the newest D&G swimwear...instead it was a cramped office with too many workers, listening to American techno and clacking away at computers. The funny part was when you get sized and photographed - you basically have to sit on the person at the desk next to you - god knows my angles are gonna look awful on my closeup film! ;) Watch out girls - this one's gonna be on a billboard! haha jk

Oh, never ask anyone in Japan about national holidays - they are clueless! They have no idea what the national holidays are, what they are for, who they celebrate, what you celebrate with, or what days they are...it's hilarious! It's almost like it's a surprise each time they get a holiday off, since they don't pay any attention to days of the weeks anyways cause they work like 364 of the year...poor saps....

One thing I have noticed in Tokyo is that married people don't have very extravagant rings....unlike the giant iceskating rinks trophy wives in the states wear. It must be part of that whole Japanese mentality of being apart of the group and not standing out...even the Tiffany's here only had small diamonds in their windows - I wanted to go and ask "where the hell the bling is?!" I guess it's nice since there is no need to announce to the world that your married - but I'll have to move before I get married because I want a rock so big thats gonna drag my left arm down so I'm total Quazimodo style!

oh god, I've learned one thing that I really don't like in Japan - Mayo! I didn't like it before I left and now I fake seizures so that people don't put it on things that I order...it's a strange mix of US mayo and sugar paste...it's so strange...plus, they put it on everything - want a burger? Mayo...Want an omelette? Mayo...want a waffle? mayo! I swear they think anything white makes it all better....lol - but that's a different story for a different time kids! Nightynight!

No comments:

Post a Comment