Friday, April 23, 2010

I invented the bump...

God, if Japanese people only knew that all Americans aren't like the Jersey Shore tv show - they would like us and respect us so much more....:)

On that note, the should also take a quick look in the mirror before they leave the house...Sometimes the things they do to their hair scares me! You know those hair styling books that you look at in the hair salon while you wait your turn - the ones with the over permed, moussed, styled, sprayed, teased and quaffed do's...well take the really bad pages in the back and imagine them walking in full living color! and I mean color...they have steaks of every color and this odd reddish attempt at blonde look...There was a girl I walked behind last week and I was amazed she was able to walk in a straight line - she must have had like 500 bobby pins in her head - and I've been in a number of dance recitals with tight hair buns before, but that was a little excessive! Also, there seem to be no rules for genderfying hairdo's...boys look like girls, girls look like boys and they all look like strange cabbage patch dolls!

People on the train have this amazing ability that I am just in awe about - they are able to be completely unconscious, but then magically wake up for their stop. It's like someone tasered them once they got to their station. It's nuts! Kinda like the world's best power nappers all on one subway line...

There is no nice way to walk through millions of people when you are rushing around during rush hour - much like when I first arrived in Tokyo and was body checked by an 80 year old in Shinjuku station - I have learned that that is just normal now...no one says excuse me, no one worries when you dislocate someone's shoulder or make them spill coffee all over themselves...It's a mess when you are expecting to have a clean, neat execution of people crossing every which way - it's just not a possibility - like making me wear socks and sandals...
Well one day when it was pouring outside and I kept getting gouged in the eye with the umbrella ends - I decided to take advantage of the situation. Since Japanese won't really say anything, I was able to play a game with my umbrella - I call it the umbrella bop - it basically goes like this...take your umbrella, hold it up a little higher than everyone else's - walk right in the middle of the crowd and bop it on top of each of the umbrellas you pass - just like Dori does in Finding Nemo in the jellyfish forest...its great and you really don't get all that many funny looks..

Oh, expect to pay for everything in Tokyo - you want a towel at the gym -$2, you want a toothpick $.30, you want a giraffe $500...things like that....

Vending machines are just an additional thing to add to the cash driven society...There are probably 3 vending machines per corner, all selling the same thing, all maintained by little old ladies and they sell everything from hot tea to protein water and Ipods to children (just kidding).

And lastly, I've learned that just because your American doesn't mean everyone is gonna like you or agree with what your country has done - but as long as you can throw back a beer with stranger in a bar - it doesn't matter what your passport says - your on way to your next unexpected adventure...so drink up!


No comments:

Post a Comment