Thursday, April 15, 2010

Scrunchies...oh the humanity!

Well its official - Carrie Bradshaw would be appalled right now! I have actually witnessed a large number of scrunchies around the city - and these are not on the usual culprits - these are on women who are actually carrying the new LV bag with the fall edition Dior pumps. I think I'm still dumbfounded and I can seem to only mumble "jesus, mary and joseph on a cross...what the hell did you do this time Kathleen.." bonus points for all those Kathy Griffin fans out there..;)

It is nice to know though, that if you have decided to leave the scrunchie at home and you put your sunglasses on, even at night, that you are pretty much allowed rockstar status - you are able to pose and have people look at you at the train station, pretend to not care about the bill at the bar and flirt with who ever you want - god, I feel like Lindsay Lohan right now...but it's true! I love that Japanese people avoid things like pretty people all the time - they literally get up in the subway - or else, maybe I smell..hhmm...

I've decided that one thing I'm going to do to add to my morning sleep time is to bring my clothes with me on the train and change right there - since it seems as though it doesn't really matter cause no one would say a darn thing! They just continue on reading their anime and novels, backwards of course...;)

But that's not to say that Japanese are not good multi-taskers...I have personally witnessed a woman, on a bike, with a cigarette in her mouth, holding an umbrella in the rain, texting, in a skirt with groceries - damn gurl that takes skill! If only I could get walking and talking at the same time down...;)

I swear I have seen the same people in Tokyo like everyday - I feel that every time I turn a corner, I bump into someone that I know - but alas, it's not and I have made a fool of myself by smiling and trying to remember the right greeting in Japanese...The good thing is, I don't have time to recognize anyone cause they are all looking at the ground when they walk, so I'd never know if my soul mate were to pass me - but he'd know I'm wearing killer shoes...:)

Oh, and a final note - if you are a light sleeper - bring earplugs to Japan! It's not only because your window may be within a fingers distance of the neighbors and the walls you share are actually paper - but because in the morning there are these vans that drive around with loudspeakers on the announcing a variety of things - from plumbers and carpenters to the next official up for election. Now, not only am I a sound sleeper - I kinda usually don't notice things like earthquakes or small children screaming - but the first time that I was awoken by these mysterious loudspeakers - I literally jumped from the top bunk to the floor and hit the deck thinking that maybe the bombs were being dropped or it was a tsunami - either way, my roommate still looks at me strange...eh, you win some, you lose some...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment